Kellie: Depression is understandable in someone facing cancer treatment. Not leaving her alone is a great way to help with the depression.

My brother who had tongue cancer did get depressed after he started the chemo w/the radiation. However, my sister-in-law organized a group of friends ('Team Tom')to take him & be w/him whenever he went for treatment. It helped to have different people w/him. He also likes having control and I think part of the depression was the feeling of his life being out-of-control or beyond his control. Your sister might be feeling the same way.

Also, she might need more help that you can give her & she might also need anti-depressants. There are a lot of new anti-depressants on the market, some target anxiety, some panic attacks, some sleep problems, some deep depression. I am not a doctor but there many tools available to fight depression and her doctor can help.

Another option might be a cancer support group. This is an especially nasty cancer and depression is understandable. Talking w/other people (like on this board?) might help her realize she is not alone in this fight. - Candace

Sister to man w/tongue cancer, Stage IV, dx 4/03 ended Tx 9/03. 12 clear exams.

Sister of guy w/base of tongue cancer, Stage IV, Dx 4/03, finished Tx 9/03