Sweety, if you're getting concurrent chemo/rad, then that is a rough road indeed. When taken together, the chemo has a tendency to increase the side effects of the radiation and vice-versa. The good news is the chemo also sensitizes the cancer cells to the radiation, which makes the radiation more effective in killing the cancer.

On your next doctor's appointment, grab your hubby/boyfriend/best-friend/what-ever and take them with you. They will think of questions that you haven't thought of and it will make them feel better to be part of the fight with you. My best friend came with me to every chemo treatment and most of the clinics. His clear thinking helped him to come up with questions that I hadn't thought of and his advocacy during treatment was very helpful. He told me later that it helped him better deal with my cancer.

Hang in there!

-Brett

Base of Tongue SCC. Stage IV, T1N2bM0. Diagnosed 25 July 2003.
Treated with 6 weeks induction chemo -- Taxol & Carboplatin once a week followed with 30 fractions IMRT, 10 fields per fraction over 6 more weeks. Recurrence October 2005.