It's very understandable why you're in a daze. My head was swimming as well - I even passed out when I got the intitial Dx. Bring a tape recorder or a good note taker with you to all of your appointments. Many important decisions have to be made early on. If you desire to be proactive you need to know all of your options.
It is vital that you be your own advocate.

Since I shave my head anyway I don't know what effect the chemo would have had on it. My beard fell out in places and the radiation took out the hair follicles on my neck so I don't have to shave there anymore.

The main thing is to stay alive and not have a recurrence. Hair will grow back, if you even lose it at all.

You will cope just like the rest of us - one day at a time (sometimes one breath at a time). Future tripping will drive you crazy -you don't own it - let it go.

It'll get better once treatment is started - this is the most difficult time right know - when you are in shock, fear and still sorting things out.

It's a good idea to have an idea of what can happen to you so that you can prepare in advance. There are some very good books like "Living Well With Cancer" and others on the OCF booklist that are like a "user manual" for people (and caregivers as well) going through treatment. We are always here to help also.

It's not going to be any picnic but it it is quite survivable. Roll with it, get into the fight. A positive attitude will carry you a long way.

Antianxiety medications are very helpful as well.

You really haven't described your cancer, we would need to know the type, location and staging to be able to share more of our experience, strength and hope.

It should be said also that it is always more advantageous and safer to go to a comprehensive cancer center for diagnosis and treatment, if you are not already. Oral cancers are very dangerous and you need the best doctors and institutions that you can get.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)