Traditional forms of chemotherapy have not shown to be very effective with head and cancers. There may be clinical trials for new types that I am unaware of.

Cisplatin, or Platinol, is the most common chemotherapy used for head and neck cancers. It is an alkylating agent that enhances oxygenation of the tissues to make radiation more effective. It adds as much as a 10% higher survival rate when used as a adjunct to radiation. Radiation is the primary treatment modality, the chemo is secondary to it.

I had Cisplatin. Orignally they had scheduled 3 treatments (or infusions) every three weeks. The infusion process itself was no big deal. They hook you up to an IV in a comfortable, reclining chair. Most of the chairs at my hospital had TV's also. They also provided juices, snacks and a heating pad for the arm with the IV -makes it much more comfortable. Many sleep through the infusion. It was a half day or less deal. The nausea, for me, wasn't a problem until as much as 3 days later and that situation improved the further away from the infusion. They shortened my infusion protocol to 2. I am not positive why. The tumor responded extremely well - not being visible (i.e., completely melted) at all on a CT scan 3 weeks into treatment. I had a rough time with nausea after the second treatment, was briefly hospitalized twice for rehydration, and this may also have played a role. I kind of remember the oncologist mentioning that the complete response, so early, was why they decided that the last infusion wasn't necessary.

Everyone has a different experience so take everything I say with a grain of salt. Your experience may be much less intense. Some respond very well to the anti-emetic (nausea) meds and some don't (which are the minority).

I'm doing great now - life is back to normal. Very minimal side effects now. If I could go back and start over, I would have taken the same path.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)