Jenny,
Actually Hydrodone is generic for Vicodin which is a synthetic, medium strength, opiate (narcotic). It has about 5 mg's of Acetomeniphen (AKA Tylenol in each tablet). Codiene is the only medium strength narcotic you can get that has nothing else in it. It is not prescribed much anymore as doctors prefer Hydrocodone or Oxycodone (AKA Percoden), which is more powerful (and all are synthetic - even Duragesic). I took six or seven a day until they adjusted my long term meds - Duragesic, to the proper level then I was switched to Morphine which is faster acting, for breakthrough pain. I only needed to take them when trying to eat or swallow something, but certainly not with any kind of regular frequency.

According to the PDR, the maximum adult dose is 1-2 tablets taken every 4-6 hours, not to exceed 8 tablets per day. This is for the 5/500 dose NOT ES.

There are also many other drug interactions to consider so have a talk with the pharmacist as well.

It's been 4 months - they should start weaning him off of the pain meds. We all heal at different rates but you might want to mention this to the MO in private - let him be the heavy if that's what's needed.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)