Just received confirmation from biopsy yesterday. 2.5 cm SCC on right tongue base, and a single 2 cm lymph node immediately adjacent to the primary, also showing SCC. The SCC is well differentiated. CT scan did not show any other lymphadenopathy.

I am 51, former smoker (25 pack years), former drinker (professional level), so I guess I had it coming, but right now it feels both scary and unfair. I visited ENT 3 years ago for sinus issues, and he felt fullness at my tongue base, CT scan showed 1 cm mass, subsequent PET scan he characterized as negative. I have visited ENT annually and had flexible nasopharyngoscopy, always given clean bill of health. Did he miss it?

I guess a bunch of emotions are clouding my thinking right now, but I hope this site will help. Tuesday is my first appointment at the local cancer center (Arthur G. James Center at Ohio State University), which is supposed to be a good one.

I feel so bad for my wife and son. My son is starting college in the fall, just received his Eagle Scout rank, and basically has everything going his way right now. My wife's mother has lymphoma, and now she has to deal with this. Life just sucks sometimes.

Sorry for the down tone. I'm sure it will improve after I get my arms around this thing. Thanks for being here to help.

Jeff

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!