When I went for my second opinion, there were all three sorts of folks there: ENT-surgeon, RO and MO. The ENT examined me pretty thoroughly, then most of the rest of the time was the discussion with the RO, who made a good case for why I needed radiation, talked about the most likely lasting effects of radiation, and about the difference between IMRT radiation and general field radiation. He also talked about the need for dental care beforehand, and possibly losing teeth, and why that was, and what other sorts of things I would need to do (fitting the mask) before radiaton started and how long that would take and how important it was to get started as soon as possible.

He didn't do much showing me around because the rad. facility wasn't in that building and I wasn't necessarilly planning on going there for rad.

Then the MO made the argument for concurrent chemo, which I was not prepared for at all, and which he admitted was an aggressive recommendation given current standards of treatment but he also made a good argument for why it would help (backed up by a conversation I later had with my MO here).

Now that I think about it, all this took at least three hours I think. Good luck with it all Amy!

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"