OK, I have questions, someone please please, help. After posting on the intro forum, I got several responses. Now, I am thinking maybe I should see someone who deals with this thing all the time. I'm so confused.

I have questions though for all of you.

1. How do I choose a specialty center to go to? Just by location? By cancer type? By staging?

2. If I decide to go - how do I initiate it? Do I have to get a referral from my ENT? If so, what if he refuses?

3. If the ENT refuses to refer and I somehow still can be seen by them - how do I go about getting all my records to them? (I've not really needed much medical care in the past - just allergies and mild asthma - which only requires a 10-15 min visit -with my ENT coincidently each year).

4. How do you be confident in your decision. What if I get radiation and it still comes back? Then, what? And, if I don't get it - and it comes back - then I have to go through this all over again. It's just so hard to believe it is still happening.

5. What are the effects of radiation now? I can't be left with a dry mouth so dry that I have to carry water everywhere - b/c I work in a hospital lab and osha rules prohibit ANY food or drink in the work area. We have to go to a different room altogether to drink or eat and with the work flow you only get a dinner and a few quick breaks on the last half of the shift.....so, if left with a severe dry mouth like that - I might not be able to do my job. (I have to be on the phone a lot with the nurses - and right now, dry mouth and my speech don't mix too well - I'm sure it would be even worse then).

6. What about insurance? I have a Humana HMO which is very good if you are in network - but I'm not sure they cover anything if I go out of network. How would I deal with that? I can't possibly pay for treatments without that coverage.

7. Last question: My resection was on January 25th. Even if I get in to another treatment plan - it likely wouldn't start for another few weeks. Would it already be too late by then - or is there really a tight time frame?

Sorry for all the questions - but I am just baffled.

SCC Right Lateral Tongue T2N0M0 Dx 01/12/06, Surgery 01/25/06. Partial Glossectomy, Bilateral Neck Dissection - 22 lymph nodes - all clear. No radiation.