Hi, friends who have gone through radiation treatment !

My radiation treatment ended on Nov. 22, 2002. I did not have PEG tube put in. The RAD treatment has done a lot damage to my throat (maybe I was ultra-seneative to RAD) Toward the end of the treatment, I could not eat anything but to drink 3 to 4 cans of "Fibersource HN" per day (a medical food) with the help of a liquid compound prescriped by my RAD Oncologist. The liquid would numbed my throat for the "meal".

For the first three weeks of Dec, my throat hurts very badly and I had to take Oxycontin 60mg/day and Endocet (3.25/500) to overcome it. Toward the end of December, I could eat some soft food such as chicken noodles and cream of mushroom etc, but I have to add a lot of water to make them tasteless as anything sweet or salty would cause a lot pain to my throat, even fat free milk would hurt.

I had Hyperbaric Oxygen treatment since Jan 6, 2003 which has helped the tissues in my throat to heal considerably. Now, I can eat almost eat and drink anything I used to (no spice food, I never like them). Milk, sodas are no longer problems either.

However, I still have the sensation as if I have "sore throat" when I swallow things. (no more burning pain) I just want to hear from those who have gone through the process to tell me how long it would take to feel the normal throat after 30+ rond of radiation, thanks

WZ

WZ | Stage 4, Tonsillar Cancer Aug, 2002