Mike thanks so much for your reply.i have suffered with very sore gums for most of my life as i am one of those idiots who tend to scrub the hell out of my teeth with smokers toothpaste and a hard bristle brush to get the coffee stains off!!Then they bleed like mad and i cant brush them properly for days.

On the bottom left of my mouth i have had my wisdom tooth and a large double tooth removed so i have got nothing there but gum and yes it gets very sore and raw feeling a lot of the time particularly if i eat sharp food like crisps or cream crackers and after brushing.It is the side i always chew my food on and i often have pain like a tooth ache then wonder how it can feel like that when i havent got any teeth there.I always put it down to the fact that i had a huge abscess under the tooth before it was removed,and then suffered a dry socket infection afterwards.I use corsydl mouthwash when it is very sore and this usually helps.
When i went to the dentist yesterday the gum was extremely sore,(but not as bad as the side where the bad tooth was!!)and very raw feeling ,but he said it was the white patch on it which i cant say i have ever noticed that was his reason for calling me back.
I am terrified of dentists Mike amd i am sure my petrification at the prospect of needles prior to the extraction he did was his reason for being reluctant to upset me any further and he removed the tooth in just about the most painless manner imaginable.At the moment the extraction site is MUCH less painful than the offending piece of gum,which i just cant stop prodding at with my tongue.

He did a full exam and even showed me the x-rays and talked me through what he could see on them, which is why i was so bemused when the nurse rang and said it was something he had spotted on the films . You must take in too account that i was in agony with toothache at the time and shaking like a jelly about the treatment he was
about to carry out.

Mike i will be grateful if you can hold my hand through the next few days although my whole instinct is telling me this is NOT a cause for panic and i feel eerily calm.
I dont doubt the calmness will vanish when the phone call comes.lol

liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.