It has been suggested that I would be a good candidate for reconstructive surgery on my maxilla and palate. The surgery would require the harvesting of the entire fibula (the small bone in one's lower leg) to use a portion as the jawbone, and a divot of fat, muscle, and skin, with its assorted vessels and nerves from the calf area, to use as the roof of my mouth (just on one side.) This would be installed in my mouth, hooking up the blood vessels and nerves in my neck somehow.

I have had a great healing from my right hemi-maxillectomy and partial palatectomy, but I still hate having an opening in the roof of my mouth. And I can't seem to get a good fit on the obturator appliance that I must wear to talk and to eat.

Have you had this surgery? or similar? I am worried about going into my well-healed surgery site. I am also worried about rejection ofthe tissues......and i am worried about foot drop caused by the surgery on the leg.

I really need insight and advice.

Thanks!

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!