Hi Linda,

I'm just catching up with your post, it sounds similar to my husband who also had surgery, radiation and 4 cycles of cisplatin. Jack is 6 months behind Ken.

I am glad that you are requesting the PET scan, they pick up different things than the CT and it's reasonable to get one at this point. It does need to be precertified with the insurance but it gives you peace of mind. See if they can do one of the combined PET/CT scans, that way you get the best of both.

For dry mouth the surgeon referred Jack for acupuncture and he was one of the ones that it worked for. It's probably 50/50 in results and doesn't help everyone. I think it's good to try the salagen since the other medication hasn't worked. The usual tips about drinking lots of water help. There was a product that Jack used called Entertainer's Secret and that helped his dry mouth. Someone gave it to us but it's available online.

What are they saying about the taste for Ken? Do they think it's going to come back over time? Good luck with the MO appointment.

Regards JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.