Hi Linda, everyone addressed the saliva issue very well. I just thought I would give my opinion on the petscan. I am 1 week post Tx. I should have some scans in about 3-4 weeks to see how effective the Tx was. I intend to have ct sans, as well as a petscan. Used together they seem to be quite effective if you have experienced people reading them. Why not, it's a full body scan that has proven itself to be quite effective at showing cancer. My ins. covered them so far and I hope they will atleast one post treatment and then I would probably save for one per year or two after that. I hope I never have to pay for one I'm just trying to express how important I find the petscan.This is all my opinion, maybe it will help you and your husband with your decision. I hope all scans no matter what they are remain to be good news. :-)

Lee, age 33, stage 4a, T2N2bM0, Tumor left tonsil (removed), 2 left side nodes removed (poorly differientiatied)total of 3 nodes involved. Treatment IMRT x33/ 2x Cysplatin completed. Good Health and Good Help to you.
Lee