Glenda,

Add me to the list! I am almost 3 years out from the end of treatment (June 3, 2004) for Tonsillar SCC, stage IV. I had a modified neck dissection, 35 IMRT and 7 chemo treatments. Even with a PEG inserted before tx began, I lost 45 pounds (185 to 140), endured terrible mucositis, required infusion therapy for weeks after treatment, etc. It was quite a battle.

However, echoing what Lenny said, I believe it's absolutely about your attitude and approach to the treatment. At the time of my dx, I was 50 years, healthy,worked out regularly and life was great. I didn't "feel" the least bit sick and, frankly, I just got mad and went into tx as a war - me against the disease. Before beginning treatment, I armed myself with as much knowledge as possible about what I could expect in the way of pain and side effects as my treatment progressed. Learning what was ahead, I immediately increased my exercise routines and began daily meditation to get my body and mind as strong as possible for the battle. During the entire tx, I never hesitated to ask my doctors, nurses or rad-techs questions about how or what I was feeling. After all, it was my body going through this! Fortunately,from the start, none of these providers pulled any punches with me about how bad things would get. Consequently, when the side effects appeared, I was ready. Was it horrible and disgusting? Sure, but it wasn't a surprise and I knew I could do it.

My salivary function began to return about 6 months after tx and with it, my taste came back as well. I slowly began exercising again after my PEG was removed (about 3-4 weeks after tx). Included in the lost 45 pounds was just about every ounce of muscle on my body. Needless to say, I got some very interesting looks when I first returned to the gym. It was a slow go, but I'm now stronger than ever and have gained back 35 of those pounds - I needed to lose about 10 pounds anyway! In many ways, I believe I'm a much improved person and enjoy life more fully.

Think positive, maintain a sense of humor and don't ever be afraid to ask for help or support.
Peace.

Dx 2/12/2004 T2N2M0 SCC of right tonsil.Tx 4/13/-6/03/2004. Surgery, IMRT/Bilateral w/boost 35x, Carboplatin + Taxol 6x.