Hey Jimmy, it might not be a bad thing to seek a second opinion as treatment options vary. Having said that, I also think it's a very personal decision. Duke is a good facility, and it's a comprehensive cancer center. Hopkins is where I'd go for a second opinion. Knowing that your surgery is scheduled for the 20th it would mean you'd need to act quickly - like calling this week.

Regardless, you need more specific information from your current doctor so you can make an informed choice. What have you been told on your primary site, metastasis to lymph nodes or adjacent/distant areas, or stage? Was the decision on your treatment plan made by a group consultation or presentation to the tumor board? Have you had a consult with the radiation oncologist to see what they think? Have they explained all the options to you to your satisfaction?

The location of your cancer makes a big difference in whether surgery is the best choice as step 1. For example, there's a difference between surgery on the base of tongue (BOT) versus on the side of tongue and in how much tissue they are planning on removing. There are also differences of opinion among doctors and facilities on whether to do surgery first and what kind of surgery to do. Radiation and Chemo are the work horses of the HNC treatment plan so you also want to know their plan for that.

Everyone is in shock getting this diagnosis which is why it's good to take a deep breath and make a list of questions for your doctor. I would want to know the pros and cons of any procedure they are recommending for you and then you'll need to figure out where your personal comfort level is.

Jack did have surgery first because they were doing a clinical trial at U of PA on using the less invasive DaVinci robotic technique to remove BOT cancers. As a result he hasn't had any long term speech or swallowing problems from the surgery. If he'd had the traditional radical head and neck, the risks of those issues would have been higher and we may have made a different decision. These are the types of questions you need answers to.

I assume the feeding tube is because they are planning on doing radiation on you - and it's a really good idea. Ask them what the short and long term side effects of the surgery will be.

Get your thoughts together and ask more questions. It may still turn out to be the right decision for you but you'll know why and have the specifics to understand what you're getting into.

Regards JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.