Thanks for the welcome and information John. I believe Balboa has IMRT. I had asked the radiologist if they had the latest technology for salivary gland cancer. I think he mentioned IMRT and that they would concentrate just in the area where the tumor was and not on both sides of my mouth so I should retain salivary gland function in the left side of my mouth.

The fear of all of this is paralyzing. I want to stay as healthy as possible in order to care for my daughter. Im also worried about if we should even be around each other. We are currently going to a military hospital but in the past at civilian hospitals she was never allowed near the cancer floors. She has a genetic disease but because of the sticky mucus and stuff she has she gets frequent sinus infections and pneumonias. She isn't contagious to anyone but if radiation wipes out your immune system I am somewhat concerned. I absolutely have to be around her she is what keeps my spirits up, she's also a great inspiration to me since she has gone through so much herself.

I have an appointment with the ent this afternoon so Im trying to compile some questions for him. Im definately going to be asking about the Amofistine. Is it usually prescribed when you are recieving IMRT and only radiating one side of your mouth? Or does it matter? Ive read a little and still have a lot of questions. Im not up to the nausea from it but Id like to be back to my normal self asap also.

thanks all,
Laura

Laura T T2NOMO Small Salivary Gland Cancer