Laura,

As you can see below my signature, I had IMRT for 35 sessions. According to my RO IMRT is supposed to reduce the side effects from rad. I have read numerous posts from others that didn't get IMRT and comparing myself to them I would probably agree BUT either way, rad is not a pleasent thing to go through.

My docs radiated my entire neck, left, middle and right side. I lost most of my taste and have dry mouth. Both of which I am told will eventually return and I hope they are right!!! I lost the hair on the back of my neck where the rad exited. I also lost all my facial hair below my chin and I don't need to shave again there. I also have developed a Turkey Waddle which is discussed in a humorous way in another recent post.

Even though IRMT is "the Best" be prepared for the worse. Stay on top of your hydration and "food". You will be on a liquid diet soon after you begin Tx. Your throat and the inside of your mouth will be painful making swallowing difficult therefore keeping up with your daily water and liquid food will be difficult. Nausea will become a problem that only makes things worse. If you don't keep up you will become dehydrated which will cause constipation and nausea. You will also probably loose weight so it's best if you can try to add some pounds before things go south.

As Amy said you need to get YOUR support group organized NOW. My wife was my caregiver and I would probably not have made it without her. Someone else is going to have to be you for the next several months. Don't even try to tough it out and maintain your normal schedule. You won't be helping anybody or anything. You must focus on yourself.

This site will be very helpful in your journey through what I call the Black Tunnel. It is a short journey that seems to last forever BUT LIKE ALL OF US YOU WILL EMERGE ALIVE about 2 weeks after rad ends.

Post every question you have and question everything you are told by all your docs. It is you body and your life. I don't know of any doc that gave me advise that went through what any of us did and that's why this support group is invaluable.

We are always here for you as others were for us.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.