David,
Thanks for the info on the carnation VHC. I did order it on the internet and got it in a few days, cost was about $40. Does it come in any other flavors??? I am going to try through the pharmacy next time.
I ordered it for my mother, she gets tired of the boost. She was using the carnation packets but you have to mix with milk and this causes a lot of mucus. Actually her appetite is very poor.
My mother 71yr has SCC on tongue and had surgery and finished IMRT on July 3rd. She's about 3 months out of treatment. She was a stage 2.
They did CT scan of neck prior to treatment and all was normal. They said if she had any micro mets to lymph nodes the IMRT would take care of that, so that is why she did not have any nodes removed.
I was just wondering how your experience was with the IMRT. Sounds like you are doing pretty good.
My mom is having many problems.
She did well with her surgery 1/2 tongue removed and then started IMRT about 8wks later. She did fine through her 34 treatments. 2 wks after treatment she started with the side effects.
Sore tongue first and gradual pain around jaw and ears. This got to be really bad and she started taking pain medicine.
Long story short she was on oxycontin every 12hrs.
neurontin 3 x day for nerve pain and percocet break through pain. Lots of mucus problems.
I would go see her and she was sleeping all the time. we finally got her off the pain meds, this has subsided, she just takes motrin liquid for pain now and we are weaning her off the neurontin.
Then just got thrush in her mouth, the dr. said looked bad. This however is getting better with nystantin swish and swallow and almost finished with diflucan.
Her pain is just about all gone. But now it is very hard for her to eat, appetite is poor and she has a lot of mucus in her mouth. Tried mucinex and helps some.
I see some improvement weekly. It just seems like it is a very slow process. She has a hard time swallowing or I think she is afraid to try different things to eat.
She was eating pretty good after surgery but since the IMRT she is having this problem.
She just eats yogerts, boost, some liquidy soups etc. She was having a hard time just eating cream of wheat. Also having hard time taking bigger pills and speech was poor.
Since she stopped the oxycontin and almost of neurontin her speech sounds so much better.
I think she was actually over medicated. speech was slurred.
The IMRT was directed mainly at her tongue, so her throat was never really that sore.
She can taste a little bit.
I was just wondering if you had the mucus problems and how was your pain??
Like I said her symptoms came on just shortly after treatment and she went down hill fast.
The pain was the big issue, shooting pains around her jaws and top of head. This has gotten so much better.
The biggest problem is appetite and mucus.
I am hoping to get her to start drinking the carnation VHC to get the calories in her.
She didn't seem to interested when I took it over.
Like I said she just does not feel like eating.
Does not have peg and I am thinking now she should have gotten one.

I have mentioned to the dr. speech therapy to help with the eating. He wants the thrush to clear up first and then we will see. Part of her tongue is removed and her sensations are different so I think she needs help with ways to eat.
She has never smoked and doesn't drink. She was a very active 71yr old. No other health problems and would go to the YMCA 3-4times a week.

Thanks for listening and any info would be helpful.
Thanks, Michelle