I am new to this group. Brian asked me to join and I hope I can contribute as well as learn. I am a 58 yr old male, non smoker, casul drinker and avid manual biker, appx 100 miles per week. Always was a health and exercise nut. I am 1 month out of treatment for Stage IV SCC. We found 2 cancer lymphs on my left side with no initial primary. Later found primary at base of tongue. Decided to be treated at Moffitt Cancer Institute in Tampa, appx 40 miles from my home. I had concurrent chemo (3 cisplatan) and 35 IMRT radiation treatments. One of my main problems was forcing myself to swallow 6 Ensure Plus' while my throat was raw and the nausea was uncontrolled regardless of what they tried. I have recently discovered Carnation Instant Breakfast VHC which has a whopping 560 calories in a 8oz can. That's over 200 more than the same bottle of Ensure Plus. Since I am now on a 3000 calorie "diet" I only have to worry about 5 VHC's whereas I was having to take 8 Plus'. I have only tried the vanilla and it "tastes" about the same realizing I have hardly any taste. You have to order it through your pharmacy and it costs the same as the Plus and your pharmacy can get within a day or 2. If you use a CVS or Walgreens their supplier is Cardinal Health, at least in Florida. Make sure you specify VHC as Carnation has many similar products. If you, like me, were (are) having problems maintaining weight this will cut down on the number of times you have to swallow and keep liquids down. I wish I had had this months ago and I hope some of you may benefit from this posting.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.