Susan,

I emphatically agree with the posts above about seeking out a team opinion from a CCC before continuing with further treatment. As part of that, I would push back for a definitive rationale about removing teeth if, as you say, there is nothing wrong with your husband's teeth right now. I had conventional radiation 17 years ago (before the more targeted forms of radiation, such as IMRT, were available). This included radiation to both sides of my face, and my neck. To this day, I have not had a single tooth removed -- ever (and I'm 56 now). I've tried to be very disciplined about oral hygiene, and I have at least quarterly teeth cleanings, along with checkups by a periodontist twice a year.

If you haven't already, you might want to check out the "Getting Through It" topic on this forum -- it will probably give you a lot of suggestions about things you want to ask next Tuesday. Also, there is an enormous amount of up-to-date information beyond this forum itself if you click on the link to the homepage (at the bottom of the screen) and check out the topics there.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989