He clearly had all the very classic symptoms. I don't understand the doc's logic about the maxillary teeth vs. the mandibular ones. The radiation is not going to kill off the teeth. It is an issue of destroying much of the microvascularization in the bone surrounding the teeth with the radiation. This is what leads to healing issues should one become compromised down the road and lost. There is a difference in the density of the cancellous bone in each arch, but I have never heard of this being criteria for keeping one or the other of the teeth in the upper or lower arch.

JAM is right. You are where you are, and the focus should not be on if what this guy decided to do or if it was the best choice or not, it should be on getting in the hands of a TEAM that will take things from here. There are many postings here you can search through regarding the reasons for a multidisciplinary team at a major cancer center being the best choice. I still recommend that is where you end up. The main reason is that you will get multiple opinions from a tumor board that will be composed of doctors from different areas of training, and from that you will get the optimum treatment plan. Others will likely post here in the AM related to questions you should ask, but one that comes immediately to mind is if he is a candidate for IMRT radiation, something that will have fewer long-term consequences.

As to your question about surgical reconstruction, some things are possible, grafting from other areas etc. but this should not be an area of concern for you right now, just getting into the right place with the right team and finishing what has happened to this point should fill your windshield. There will be time enough once you

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.