Krishna,
I don't know if chemotherapy is worse than radiation since I only had radiotherapy, but I think from reading this list for several years, that radiation is the most trying treatment because of the damage it inflicts on the inside of the oral cavity. Neither is much fun, but both doable and survivable.

A PEG is a gastric feeding tube that is placed into the stomach via the mouth and then extended through the stomach wall and hangs outside the abdominal wall. It is used to provide nourishment when swallowing is too painful. Liquid nourishment and fluids can either be injected into the stomach via the tube or 'dripped' in at a slower pace by suspending the bag of fluid above the patient.

Many people have managed to get through their radiation treatments without one. I tried to do that but needed the tube around week 4 and continued using it for several months after treatment had ended. It is a matter of choice, I suspect, although some hospitals strongly recommend getting the tube installed before treatment begins.

The research results indicating that chemotherapy when combined with radiation is more effective than radiation only, are pretty new. You may want to ask the radiation oncologist about this and you may want to consult with a medical oncologist as well. Someone who typically oversees the chemotherapy part of treatment.

Hope this is of some help. - Sheldon

Dx 1/29/04, SCC, T2N0M0
Tx 2/12/04 Surgery, 4/15/04 66 Gy. radiation (36 sessions)
Dx 3/15/2016, SCC, pT1NX
Tx 3/29/16 Surgery