I'm also not a doctor but agree with what Joanna said--it sounds to me like he is getting the same protocol he would get here. Although I didn't get the drug they have here which protects white blood cells and I wish I ahd since it took a LONG time for my WBC to get back to even just slightly below normal.

I suspect the NATFOST is what goes by the name Amifostine here--the generic name is ethyol. If so, your brother may find that drug especailly hard to take. Many do. I took it for 21 out of 33 days of radiation and it made me throw up almost every single day I ahd the injection. biut it does help protect your salivary gland function so I felt it was worth the extra suffering at the time, except when I was feeling very sick from the chemo.

Anyway, I'm sorry that your brother has this terrible disease but with good treatment there is definitely lots of hope, all sorts of people are examples of that here. Let us know how your b rother is doing as he goes through his treatment.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"