Susan,

I had all of them. Here is an explanation without too much medical jargon

HBO dives is the time spent each time in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber, sometimes called HBOT, Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment. Each separate time is called a dive because it equals a certain diving water depth. It’s usually in a few places, and had one close to where I lived.

Trismus is difficulty, measurement, opening your mouth. There are different gauges, and have had it severe enough not even to fit a spoon. There are different gauges to measure the severity, usually done by an SLP, who is mentioned above.

Madiblelectomy is the surgical procedure to remove your jaw bone. There is another, close spelling, that does not cut as deep to remove the facial nerve.

I hace been to a number of SLP’s through the years. I think a consultation would be beneficial, and yes, I have done the “shaker” exercise, but what’s more appropriate for you may be different than mine.

A concern is the cancer that recurred or wasn’t fully removed. I would look into that ASAP. Btw, often with brachytherapy, which I had similar, and a newer form, they sometimes do as part of surgery, and at times, as adjunct to chemoradiation. There is a newer form of radiation called Proton Therapy, which is ay about 25 locations in the U.S. i believe it got all my cancer five years ago, so far. I go for my 5 year Scan this month or next although I’m 10 years out from my original diagnosis, so there is always hope!

Good luck with everything

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI