Im glad your husband is well enough to be home again! The fall risk is something nurses put up if patients are even the tiniest bit unsteady. Its all about covering their butt!!! If patients are wobbly even a little bit they want to make sure the patient wont get up without assistance and end up falling. Last time I was in the hospital for pneumonia I had the fall risk on my door. The nurses took it one step further with putting a bed alarm on my bed that went off if I tried getting up by myself. The bed alarm was such a nuisance!!! It was overly touchy and would go off in the middle of the night if I moved the wrong way. The nurses refused to remove the bed alarm unless I signed a waiver saying if I got hurt it was my own fault. The biggest problem with the bed alarm was the nurses were extra short staffed and couldn't respond in a timely manner if I called them to help me go to the bathroom. After I began to feel better a few days later, I noticed almost all patients had the bed alarms as they would go off at all hours of the day and night.

The issue with being off balance could be related to swelling from the rads. Ask the doc about if it has any relation to the treatments. If so then it may be several weeks before this improves. Being a week post rads theres only 1 or 2 more weeks to go before your husband begins to feel a little better. Im hoping that since his intake situation has gotten corrected that will help him to feel better quicker than most other OC patients.

Your husbands coloring could be related to his blood counts being way off. Ive noticed many cancer patients have an odd color when going thru treatments. If its tied to his bloodwork numbers then it may take a while for his color to return back to normal. My case is very different than most here, my blood counts took years to return back to normal levels... especially the red and white counts. Red blood cells are what carries oxygen thru the body. White cells are what fights infections. Pay attention to both but the white is what makes patients more susceptible to picking up all kinds of bugs that most normally would not. Patients may need nupeogen (sp?) shots to help boost their white counts back to the normal range. It can take months for the white to bounce back. This is an example of why its so important for OC patients top get a full blood count including testosterone and thyroid levels before starting treatment so the doc can see what the "normal" numbers for their patient are. Your husband will probably have bloodwork done at his first post rads check up. Pay attention to the white and red counts also look to see if testosterone and thyroid levels have been checked. If not ask the doc about why not as almost every single radiation treated OC patient ends up needing thyroid and testosterone levels monitored and require daily medicine.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma