Connie, the chemo given using the 3 "big bag" method where its administered every 3 weeks usually hits patients anywhere from 7-10 days after its given. By the time the patient finally begins to feel a little better and the side effects start wearing off, its time for another dose. So, yes unfortunately this is completely normal.

Eating is s huge issue for almost every single person who is going thru rads for OC. Most will not have much of an appetite, some have very painful mouth sores and a sore throat plus their sense of taste will make everything taste terrible... even water! When I went thru it, to me everything tasted like over salted charcoal. When a patient begins to lose weight that means they are not getting their daily minimums of 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water. Being on day 10 of rads, do your very best to get your husbands intake turned around as quickly as you can. I do completely understand its hard and without an appetite is even more difficult but intake is one of the biggest controllable things that can help make this as easy as possible for your husband. The better your husband does with his intake, the easier it will be on him. With losing 11 pounds, even if your husband was overweight is NOT good. Im sure his medical staff are well versed with how OC patients will begin to feel the effects more and more as their treatments continue making intake an even bigger problem for many patients. If its at all possible to boost your husbands intake even if you can get every other day up to 3000 or 3500 this will help him to make this easier on him. Think of how professional athletes are eating special diets and heavily training before their seasons start. For them taking in 7000+ calories a day is the norm as they burn it off so fast, same goes for OC patients goring thru rads... their bodies burn calories at such an increased rate it takes tons of extra calories just to break even.

More things to monitor constantly thru treatment and recovery and a bunch of intake ideas.... If he's not meeting his daily water intake levels ask the doc for a prescription to get extra hydration. I guarantee after a couple bags of extra fluids he will feel almost like himself again. I always felt instantly better after getting hydrated. This can be an open prescription where he could get extra fluids a few times a week. Also pain management is another issue that can make this much harder than it should be. Make sure to relay any side effect to his doctors... especially if hearing is affected. Cisplatin chemo (not sure what is being given) is known to cause permanent hearing loss. Any change, even a minor buzzing should be discussed prior to any further doses of cisplatin.

Heres some info Ive previously shared with others who were struggling. This info can come in handy and help you get back into taking in at least 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water every day....

Milkshakes and smoothies are easier going down than many things. Also try ensure or boost to try taking in the most balanced diet as possible. The following list should help you to find things you can eat easily like canned peaches (these will slide right down) or cream soups. I also enjoyed yoo-hoo and chocolate milk during rads and recovery, plus the extra calories sure didnt hurt. You may find that would help you too.

List of Easy to Eat Foods

Here is a recipe for something I used to make and drink when I went thru treatments and recovery in 2007. This shake has anywhere from 1500-2500 calories depending on how its made. The list of easy to eat foods may will you too, they mostly have a smoother texture and are easier to eat than most other foods. I used to like the canned peaches, they would slide right down with minimal effort chewing and swallowing. One of the tricks is to get as many calories in each swallow as possible, make them count! Ensure has a liquid nutrition drink called very high calorie (VHC) sold in grocery and drug stores that has more calories than the others. This could help too.

(All measurements are estimates)

Giant High Calorie Choc-Peanut Butter Milkshake

3 or 4 cups chocolate ice cream (regular/full fat type)
2 tablespoons peanut butter (smooth type)
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
1 or 2 cups whole milk (can substitute half and half to add even more calories)
1 scoop carnation instant breakfast
1 scoop high protein whey powder
(check with doc if this is ok)

Blend this extra long to make it very smooth and creamy so it goes down easier. If the shake is too thick, add more milk to thin it down to whatever consistency works best for you.

PS... Centrum has an adult liquid multivitamin out. Ive been taking it daily for about 3 months and can honestly say its helped me tremendously. Maybe you could try it? Make sure you ask your doc to make certain the multivitamin will not interfere with your treatments

PSS... Take good care of yourself too. Being a caregiver is NOT an easy job! You may need to take a break once in a while to catch your breath and reflect on everything. Going out to lunch with friends, getting a manicure or pedicure, go out to a new movie are all things which will help to make an easier week for you. We have all been thru it and understand what you both are going thru.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma