Hi everyone. Still coming to terms with my diagnosis routine visit to get my teeth cleaned became a visit to oral surgeon for biopsy and SCC diagnosis a couple of days later. All this came a week before Christmas 2017. I thought I had the beginning of gum disease and put off going to get my teeth cleaned because I didn’t want to deal with it. Probably should have caught it 6 mos earlier. My dentist compared my X-rays from 1 year ago and saw I had 90% bone loss in my back two lower molars. I am lucky enough to be surrounded by many drs and dentists I call my friends and they connected me to some of the best surgeons in NYC. I chose my surgeon at Columbia and on Jan 10th 2018 I had 10 hrs of surgery to remove 5cm of my jaw and gum and cheek. It was all reconstructed with my fibula. Recovery went well and biopsy revealed one of 20 lymph nodes was positive. Started 6 weeks of radiation 4 weeks after surgery and just finished this past Monday. Have to say this week really sucks. Most pain I’ve had to endure yet with mouth sores. During the entire radiation process I was also being infused at immunologist with high levels of Vit C, and DMSO three times a week. My mouth sores didn't get bad until week 6 but now just trying to get through this week. Using magic mouthwash but it only lasts for about an hour. It’s been an unbelievable ride. I am one of the 7% that fell in the bad luck group. Non smoker ,56 year old, very active female.

Maria