Welcome to OCF, GG! Im sorry you have a need for our group but I know we will be able to help you. We have all felt hopeless about being a cancer patient at some point in our journey. Take it day by day and try not to get too far ahead of yourself. Read here and learn about your illness so you can be a strong advocate for yourself. We have all been where you are and we have learned to pick ourselves up and continue.

Do your best to avoid the "what if" thinking. It seems to only cause you more anxiety and worry. Staying super busy with a new hobby, reading a long detailed book or anything that requires lots of concentration will help to keep you focused on other more positive things. If you find yourself 'going there' and you cant shake that way of thinking, set a limit to say 5 minutes then you need to physically get up and "change the channel". Go outside or go do something productive and force yourself from veering off the "what if" way of thinking. I used to clean my closets... all of them and by the time rads began I had the cleanest and best organized closets ever! Another way to take your mind off the negativity is to help others. Volunteer helping those less fortunate or the elderly or even children. By helping those who are worse off it will help you to feel more positive about your own situation.

Hang in there! You're in the right place, we get you!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma