Let me explain about Oral ID. This is a device that identifies any abnormality in a patients mouth. Thats all it does, is light up to point out different tissue that MIGHT be cancer or some other mouth sore. There are many, many things it could be besides cancer. This is something you should remember to always do... Any time you have a sore or spot in your mouth that does not heal on its own within 2-3 weeks needs to be checked by a professional. By a professional I mean an ENT who specializes in treating oral cancer patients (NOT the type of ENT who puts tubes in kids ears).

A dentist doesnt usually do much to diagnose oral cancer. They often are focused only on the patients teeth, not seeing anything else. The best place to go as I mentioned before is the OC specializing ENT. An oral surgeon might be able to help if you find the right type. You dont want someone who primarily pulls wisdom teeth or treats TMJ patients. Same as the ENT... you need someone who specializes in treating oral cancer patients. With oral surgeons... they cut as all surgeons recommend and do. Once its removed, you can never put it back and start over. The tissue is then sent to the lab to determine what it is. If it would be cancer you may need additional surgery or radiation to ensure not one teeny tiny cell was missed. Maybe having a diagnosis of what it is before surgery would be a good idea. Theres a fine needle biopsy that could be done without anyone removing something they dont have no idea what it is.

All of this in no way means I think you do have cancer so please dont think too far into what Im saying. To me it sounds like something isnt right but the node may or may not be related. An enlarged node could simply mean you have some sort of infection causing it to swell. Its doubtful you can get an appointment with the type of ENT you need in only one week. OC ENTs are often booked up for weeks, even months ahead. Even if you are put on the "cancellation list" it could be a month before you can get in. Even if it would be cancer (key word ... IF) and the node is also affected, this does not necessarily mean you cant be completely cured and go on to live a wonderful long, happy, healthy life. Today, cancer can be survivable and eliminated.

If you smoke, vape, chew, drink alcohol or use mouthwash with alcohol in it.... stop using those things immediately! If what you have going on is a result from some kind of external chemicals then by eliminating the contact with the chemicals should allow your mouth time to heal. If your mouth does heal then you may want to see your family doc to see if the node is a result of some sort of infection. Never know! Just make sure you find out exactly whats going on with your mouth and the node and if they are related.

I hope all this info is useful and able to help you. Please keep us posted and updated with your progress. hopefully what you have going on is nothing serious. Good luck!!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma