Hello,
I am a FULL TIME trachy...ughh If I only knew back then what I know now....Tink22...I'm not a DR. but heres my scoop. I came out of treatments and neck dissection with NO trach....then about a year later, I was having difficulty breathing. When I climbed stairs I would have to stop and take a breath. So my journey began to check out the reasons and if it was my lungs etc...everything was fine. I did all sorts of MRI and tests and the only thing my ENT said was my esophagus was narrowing from the rads. OK but I was still very active...then BAMMM one night a mucus plug had gotten stuck in my airway. I LOST my breath and passed out. My husband did CPR and called 911. Finally, my ENT suggested the TRAKE to play it safe. I was under the impression it was a temporary situation bcuz the plan was to do a DIOLATION to stretch out the esophagus. In my heart and mind I still felt it was temporary. Little did I know your body begins to depend on the TRAKE... I am C-FREE for which I am very grateful for but I feel had I known a little bit more, maybe I wouldn't be dependent on all this stuff. I don't mean to sound ungrateful. I just wish I had better guidance.....Not sure if this helps you. My intention is to saY 1 THING...EDUCATE YOUR SELF. DID I READ THAT YOU ARE A NURSE.? if yes, then I'm sure you know the drill. GOOD luck I hope everything goes great for you.

****** ADMIN NOTE ******** As with all posts on this website, these are the opinions and experiences of patients and caregivers and NOT those of medical professionals. Each patient experiences things in their own individual way. These posts are NOT meant to replace advice from medical professionals. Clearly without personal examination and the revelation of all the facts, none of us can, without reasonable doubt, tell another what is best for them over the internet, regardless of our knowledge, or expertise in any given subject matter..... (ADMIN and partial excerpt from the OCF board rules)

SCC 5/21/09 Base Of Tongue, Stage 4-age 42
5X Cipltn, 37 IMRT end 9/09
10/09 neck disection- 2nd Feed tube instal
2/11 Tracheostomy-
2/12 - 2/13 over 25 Diolations
2/14 Total voice loss
2/15 Total Laryngectomy Researched
2/16 Jaw bone starts to deteriorate TL put on Hold
6/16 30+ HBO dives
Annual PET shows NED until the hot spot lights up the jaw bone
1/17 Jaw Replacement research