Overall the trach is just another tool to help you eliminate the cancer. Im not a medical professional but I have had a trach and read hundreds of our members posts about them. They arent fun but Ive been thru far worse. Your questions is not easy to answer. There are far too many variables involved. A patients age, general health, tumor location, amount of swelling (that always seems to take forever to go down) are just a few things that can affect how long the trach will be in. Even comparing a similar patient isnt a good comparison as every person is different and will react in their own unique way. Plus every doctor is different as well and will have a different idea of how long the trach can be in. We all have a fear of the unknown. Maybe it would make this easier if you could focus on the things you have control over? I would also discuss this in detail with your physician. They should have done many surgeries like yours and should know how long their average patient needs the trach. Also ask your doc about the possey muir valve trach. Its a type of trach that allows the patient to talk easier. I dont know if this is an option in your situation with having an extensive surgery. It cant hurt to ask if it would be something to help make the trach easier for you.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma