Im so sorry to read about what you and your husband are going thru! Your husbands medical team really should have been upfront and told you about how rough the first couple weeks after rads are. Right now is the lowest of the low times for all OC patients who go thru rads. If your husband has a feeding pump (most common is the Joey pump), he can have it run slowly overnight while he sleeps (propped up on a couple extra pillows) to take in a couple extra cans of formula. This should ensure he hits his daily numbers. By taking in less than he should his recovery will only be more difficult. Ive been where your husband is and it is one heck of a hard time!!! I had constipation and diarrhea too as do most OC patients. I also lost my voice as do many patients. Its only temporary and will come back as he begins to heal. BUT.... to heal he must take in enough calories (protein is especially important) or he will get well at a much slower pace. Im a nag about intake all because Ive gone thru this and know how hard it is, I also was hospitalized for malnutrition and dehydration a few times. I wasnt the best with keeping up with my intake either and boy did I pay for it. Every single day thru his first year anniversary of finishing rads (at the very least) your husband should be taking in at least 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water (water in the formula counts too). There isnt much you can do to help or encourage your husband to do better.... he must understand the big picture and do it out of necessity or suffer the consequences like I did.

I feel so bad for you both!!!! As a caregiver you have such a tough job, and right now is the worst it should get for you both. Just make sure to take good care of you and take a break once in a while to clear your head. Hang in there, you guys are almost past the worst of it. Take it day by day and soon enough you will see some improvement.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma