Pauls post above is much the same info as what I would advise. I have not seen any medical alert bracelet specifically for trismus. I have seen blank bracelets that a patient can get inscribed so that could be a possibility.

Anesthesiologists can put a patient to sleep with a small tube up thru the nose. Ive had several surgeries where this has been done. Usually Im almost asleep before they start as it is a bit uncomfortable. Its similar to when OC survivors get check ups, the ENT will put a skinny tube with a miniature camera on the end up thru the nose and down into the throat. Speaking of tiny tubes, yes the portable suction machine comes with a very tiny tube. Ive had this done successfully on me even with trismus. If your husband is able to drink thru a straw then he can benefit from the portable suction machine. The tubes Ive seen and used are similar to the size of a straw.

Last month I spent some time in the hospital. The hospital had printed neon colored magnets the nurses would put on the door jams for their special needs patients. Unfortunately I had 3 of the neon magnets on my door. They said fall risk, pureed diet only, and (if I remember correctly) restricted airway. There are several other signs on other patients door jams I noticed while walking the halls.

I suggest using the water pik on its lowest setting as a tool to help get the thick gunky mucous out of your husbands mouth/throat. I know this wont be easy but with a little maneuvering it should help. I still think the portable suction machine would be a big help too. When the radiation oncologist told you she is on call this weekend, she showed you she understands your husband is struggling. To me, it sounds like she is experienced with what OC patients go thru. When OC patients are finishing their last few days of rads and the first 2/3 weeks of their recovery phase is the hardest of the whole process. Dont be afraid to call the doc if your husbands condition gets any worse. I dont remember reading if your husband has a visiting nurse check on him. Maybe that would be an option the doc can order for him?

Best wishes with everything

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy