Mrs W -

I'm 50 and I've been on a PEG / Pump for the last 2 1/2 years and will most likely spend the rest of my life with it. Also have Trismus. (I highly recommend using the pump. Once he gets accustomed to gauging the pressure in his stomach as a means to control when to start and stop the feed, his calorie intake will increase and nausea should decrease.)

I have two active kids, work 40 to 50 hours per week, and try to live my life to the fullest extent possible.

Cancer and the damage its done is a part of my life, but I try to not let it define who I am.

The PEG / pump / stretching to relieve the Trismus are just part of what it takes to get through the day. Just like eating meals are to someone that doesn't have to deal with the aftereffects of OC treatments.

Try not to let your husband become overwhelmed with his situation. He cannot allow himself to fall into the "I can't / won't do" what needs to be done. The Trismus stinks! There is no other way to say it. He needs to focus on getting through the treatments more than the Trismus. The size of his tongue should resolve over time. (It took mine almost two years before mine felt right.)

Keep him focused and moving forward. It does get better. It takes time and a great deal of effort from each of you.

Good Luck

1997 SCC Tumor on tongue - Partial Gloss
1997 Met to Lymph
Radical Neck Dissection / 2nd Partial Gloss
6 weeks chemo and radiation
Brachytherapy
2011 Stroke
2014 Recurrence SCC at Base of Tongue / Hemi-gloss
Free Flap reconstr from thigh
PEG Tube
Radiation
Permanent Issues with speech and swallowing