Thank you all for the responses and the kind wishes.

PaulB, I know just how bad this tumor is and that it will kill him if he doesn't get treatment other than chemo. I think his medical team hopes to shrink it enough to do surgery that isn't too invasive and we'll find out whether that is possible at the consultation. The thing that makes the surgery hard is that the tumor, small as it is, is really irregular (diffuse). My husband had a hemiglossectomy in 2006. He isn't willing to live with less functionality than he has now. So the question is whether there is a surgery that is less invasive than a total glossectomy and possible.

Christine, I read just yesterday that the FDA approved a new immunotherapy drug, Keytruba, for head and neck cancer recurrence that seems to have a good response. I will definitely ask about it.

If we can't get a cure with surgery or radiation, I am hoping they can keep him relatively healthy and comfortable for some years with chemo and immunotherapy. I know it's a long shot but he beat really long odds with the first cancer in 2006.

2006 tongue T2/N1; hemiglossectamy + MRND +32X IMRT
2010 "cured"
6/ 2016 recurrence right tongue T1/N0 perineural invasion 9/2016 3X carboplatin/taxotere