Hi Larry,

Radiation to the mouth/jaw decreases blood flow to the area permanently which causes problems with healing after an extraction. Typically HBOT is recommended - 20 dives before and 10 after the extraction.

Based on your signature it seems there is still some cancer present. HBOT increases the level of oxygen in your body which from what I read could cause the cancer to grow.

I saw that your original cancer was BOT. Was your jaw in the radiation field? If not, perhaps you still have good blood flow to your jaw and healing after extractions would not be an issue. Discuss this with your doctors.

As Gloria mentioned, using fluoride trays and/or fluoride toothpaste is recommended because of the decreased saliva post-radiation. This can lead to tooth decay and cavities.

Dental issues post-radiation are common, but unfortunately the insurance companies don't like to pay for some of the treatment. In my experience the extractions were covered by my dental insurance, and the HBOT by my medical insurance. I had my 4 lower front teeth removed because they became loose after radiation.

I had HBOT twice with no major problems. I had minor vision changes and increased blood pressure, but both were temporary. The HBOT chamber is pressurized and some patients required "tubes" in the ears to help equalize the pressure.

I hope this info helped. Wishing you the best!

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)