I am also one of those right tonsil, 3 year survivors (we seem to be the minority - most have it on the left tonsil). Fortunately, I had no tonsillectomy or neck disection even though I was advanced staging. The radiation just melted everything away and that was that. I even refused the PEG tube although I do not wish to open the debate about that since this is a very passionate issue and many folks here really need them to survive. Eating and drinking orally with your mouth burned out and ulcerated is not for the faint of heart.

I dropped over 60 lbs and it beat the living crap out of me but I am doing fine now. Weight is up about a nice healthy 30-35 lbs, taste buds are normal (it only took a few months for them to recover for the most part), salivary function just about normal and life is good today. I even forget the water bottle some times. It was a LONG recovery so don't expection overnight changes. It took me 2 years before I was 100% functional again 1 1/2 years for the salivary function return alone.

I should add also that I had many bouts with thrush and minor infections as well in the early post Tx phase but that has long since passed.

Just try to stay on top of the daily issues as they arise and take it one day at a time. I had days from fair to horrific so expect some of that and you'll get through this ok.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)