Hello Timmay, this is a great place to come for information and support.
My husband too was diagnosed with an HPV positive Base of Tongue cancer.. Kris was 58 at diagnosis. We had been married/together for 30 odd years and both of us had been monogamous. To be honest, I have not got hung up on the HPV stuff . I know that about 90% of us, male and females , get this infection at least once in our lives. It is that common. It is just that until recently, who knew about HPV?. It does seem to show up many years after contracting the virus. To me, it is of no consequence to our marriage. I'm sure that I too have had HPV at some time, but I'm lucky. My body resolved the infection without any consequences and without me even knowing I had the virus. Did I give it to Kris? Who cares. It makes no difference. Kris was / is in the very small percentage of the population whose body did not overcome this virus. He also is in the even smaller percentage who then went on to develop a cancer from this.
Kris was not an athlete at all. Most of the people I have come across with this HPV cancer are just regular people and indicative of the general population. Some are exercise nuts, some are fairly active and some are not. I also don't think that contracting this virus has anything at all to do with supplements or plastic drink bottles. It has everything to do with how your body has responded to the virus.
Why did Kris get this and not me? Why did his body develop a cancer from HPV and mine did not. It's all down to how the body responds. He is in the unlucky group and that's all there is to it.
Please let your Wife read this. This has happened to us too. Neither of us is to blame . It is life. Kris and I continue to have a strong monogamous marriage, now of 34 years.
I hope your recovery goes well,
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!