Hi Julie, I remember reading statistics and being terrified. Then I realised that they did not apply to Kris. They are taken on a huge cohort of patients with multiple co morbidities that just don't apply to you. As someone on here used to say, you are either a survivor or you are not. Always stay positive and do your best to keep Dad positive. I am a very firm believer that mindset has a lot to do with surviving. Your dad is extra lucky to have you as you have wonderful skills that will help him through this. If you can become his "case manager" you can guide him through this. I'm a bit of a control freak and I took over everything when Kris went through rads and chemo. This helped me cope and it helped Kris as he knew I had his back and he trusted me to manage everything and to be his advocate.
As an SLT you have great insight into swallowing difficulties. Kris did have the PEG, but really he only used it for about 8 weeks. Try not to get hung up on this. Just be there to encourage and support Dad.
I wish you both well with the second opinion and treatment. Please keep us updated and let us help you as Dad progresses through treatment.
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!