Jmassa,

Unfortunately, your story is becoming all to common. In a study done a few years ago, it found 70% of BOT cancers are HPV related. I believe that number is much higher now. It is not that the non HPV are going down. Its more that the HPV cases have risen sharply.

If it is HPV related, a lot of the time surgery is not necessary or recommended. Radiation with Chemo has proven to be successful for the majority of the patients. The down side is, the treatment can be brutal. A few get by relatively easy, most experience mild to major discomfort, and a few really struggle to get thru it. I fell closer to the struggle side. I was unable to eat orally for about 6 weeks. However, about 5 weeks after treatment ended, eating was painful but doable.
I really don't think anyone can predict how people react to treatment.

I am now 3.5 years out and doing very well. Looking back on it, it was about 6 months of less than fun. I call it the brutal winter of 2012.

My advice is get a as much stuff done around the house, garage, cars... as you can now. Once treatment starts he may not be willing or able to the things he use to. Get help when and where you can. 35 trips to the cancer center takes a lot of time. I only drove myself a few time. I don't recommend driving on chemo, which can last 3-5 days of "chemo fog".

I wish you father well in his treatments. Good luck,

Hockey Dad
43, No smoke, Small BOT HPV+16
8/30/12 Biopsy found SCC in Lymph node (removed)
9/19 DX 4a T1N2aM0
10/1 TX 2x Cisplatin 35 IMRT 70 gry (Done 11/15)
PEG tube in 11/7. Out 1/4, Back at work 2/4/13
PET 2/13 Clear, 10/16 all Scopes Clear, 4/14 Chest X-ray Clear, 5/14 Abdominal ultrasound Clear, 8 yrs clean!!!