Try your best to avoid getting hung up on the numbers. I know plenty of survivors who beat the odds and are doing great after their treatments, myself included. Im glad you are going for a second opinion.

Have your father begin eating all his favorite foods now, desserts too. His intake is what has to be his main focus, starting right now thru at least the first year post treatments. If your father is slim, he should work on bulking up and putting on some weight before he starts.

Many patients who go thru this end up with a feeding tube. Most of those patients will eventually relearn how to eat well enough to get rid of their tube. Make sure your father swallows throughout the day even if his throat is sore. This is very important as his swallowing muscles can be very stubborn to bounce back after they "forget" how to function. Even if he takes a few sips of water several times a day this will help to keep his muscles active so recovery is much easier. In your line of work you must see these patients with swallowing issues as an after effect of OC. Hopefully with your experience, you can help your dad much more than a regular non-medical background caregiver.

If you havent already done so, try to line up several helpers that can driver your father to and from his treatments. I think I mentioned in a previous post, the ACS has a volunteer driver program thats very helpful too.

Best wishes to your father with the treatments.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma