My husband had an NG tube when he was in hospital for pneumonia in October. He did not complain about discomfort. It was only a problem because the nurses couldn't just insert it because of the narrow passage down the nose to the throat (another side effect of radiation) and he had to be sedated and sent to endoscopy to get it done. Swallowing for him deteriorated over time. Within six months, he went from being able to swallow liquids to aspirating on them. The speech path said even his saliva could go down the wrong way and, over time, it would catch him with him and he would get another bout of pneumonia. I am concerned for your husband because my husband ended up getting pneumonia pretty well non-stop for half a year. Please be vigilant, especially if he gets a temperature or experiences chills and coughs.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.