Hi Paul,

The individuals on this forum have been a great source of information for me as well. Even though it was recommended by several people in this group, I did not get a feeding tube. The hospital I was at said they preferred me to not have it and continue taking calories orally. As of tomorrow I am 2 weeks outside my radiation treatments, I did not need chemo. I have been drinking high calorie drinks and high protein drinks. I have lost weight but I wanted to lose some of it. For me it was at about three weeks in before food started to lose its taste. Once I started with the changes in my saliva and what I call the worst part of the side effects that is when I stopped with solid food. As of now, I am feeling stronger and less fatigued each day. I am hopeful once the mucous in my mouth subsides I am looking forward to eating food.

One item I think is important and from reading different post in this forum, you should be doing exercises for your mouth, tongue and swallowing. If you can continue to swallow you should be doing that as well. I was told by several people the muscles in your throat can lose their memory of how they swallow. I have been told it is important to continue swallowing if you can.

Whatever concerns or questions you have their are some great people in this forum who really care, provide support and advise. In a few weeks and before you know it you will be counting down the last few days of treatments. Keep in mind and you have probably been told this, the first two weeks after treatments end you will still feel like you are receiving them. In my case I felt worse after I was done. Just this week I am beginning to feel better. I am hopeful I will continue to heal and return to a somewhat normal life and activities in the next couple of months.

Leonard
BOT T2N0 Diagnose Confirmed December 7th
Treatment Start Radiation January 11th Last treatment applied February 19th 2016