Hi Lenny,
I am not sure about the staging of your tonsil cancer but mine is pretty close to the terminal one (stage 4B) and I am still alive and have been in remission for over 4 years. I didn't have surgery but most people said that it is not the worst when compared with chemo or radiation. I received traditional radiation (48 sessions) and 4 rounds of cisplatin concurrently to beat the cancer. Swallowing was only very difficult for a couple of weeks and it gradually improved. The mouth dryness is my permanent problem but I can talk and enjoy my life without constant sips of water if I have candies or chewing gum. With IMRT, your dryness problem should not be that serious. Don't worry and I am sure you can go through the ordeal, like most of us here. I was able to resume my job as a school teacher after taking sick leave for 7 months and have continued teaching without falling ill for 3 whole years post cancer treatment.I chose to retire early last September to enjoy my life.
Karen

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.