Lenny, Hello from a fellow teacher. My cancer had spread to the lymph nodes in my neck and surrounded my jugular vein - primary tumor in the base of my tongue. Its nearly three years since my diagnosis and I am doing just fine. I had no surgery, but lots of chemo and IMRT.

Use your peg tube to keep your weight up, and to get the balanced nutrition you need to fight the beast - your body needs good fuel. Swallow as much as you can, but don't let a sore throat rob your weight. Pour in LOTS of water during treatment- it helps. Being scared is both logical and rational - its appropriate. You can beat the beast - we all have done so. Its not easy and its not pain free, but it can be done.

Come to this site often for encouragement and advice. You'll get lots of both! Your classroom will see you again. You're not done teaching yet. Your throat will hurt more for a while, then it will quiet down - way down. You'll wonder if the beast would be better than the treatment - then it'll get better - lots better.

Get mad at it. Fight hard. We are with you - you are never alone with the beast here - it keeps a respectful distance from this group. Be strong. Tom

SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4.
From 3/03: 10wks daily multi-drug chemo,
Then daily chemo with twice daily IMRT for 12 weeks - week on, week off. No surgery. New lung primary 12/07. Searching out tx options.