I remember my first biopsy on my tongue and how sore it was. Nevertheless I would still see or call a doctor if you are continuing to feel miserable. It's too long to wait until your next appointment and it's likely an ordinary doctor (we call them GPs) could help you or the nurse at the clinic you were treated at could give you advice. I've got a point of discomfort beyond which I won't let things get. I remember calling the hospital after my last procedure and being referred to the Emergency Department where a young doctor who sort of specializes in ENT matters gave me valuable assistance and more importantly reassured me. In your case you are waiting for results and need to be as comfortable as possible while doing so. I know you want to chew but milkshakes and smoothies are a soothing substitute in the meantime. I find that tinned peaches with milk and skimmed milk powder make a shake that doesn't irritate the mouth.

Best wishes

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.