Donna - I can relate to your husband just wanting to be understood. My son got so frustrated and upset with me for not hearing/understanding what he was saying. When I saw him waving his arms round ands his mouth barely above a whisper and trying so hard to make me understand, it was almost funny but I was very careful not to even smile or snicker - so I told him I had a hearing problem and he would need to be patient with me because I was really trying hard to understand him. At the time I didn't have a hearing problem but I would have said anything to help him feel more in control of some small thing when so much of his life seemed out of his control. Everyone is different, of course, and I'm sure you will come up with ideas of your own when you see how he reacts to each situation. Anytime you can find humor in a situation helps a lot as you found out yourself. Good for you for being such a great caregiver!

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)