I'd like to introduce myself, after finally stumbling upon this informative forum. I am Donna, the caregiver, and often the most outspoken half of us. My husband of 49 years has been fighting oral cancer since 2011. Twice now, we've been given the "all clear", and twice it's returned. He's just had his second hemiglossectomy, and we're both pretty frightened at this point. Since he's newly post-op, our current struggles involve getting some nutrition down him. He was stubborn and insisted the NG tube be removed after just 9 days, but getting down (and keeping down) meds and nutrition is a major effort. He's only been a few days without the tube, but even drinking a little soup is almost too difficult and I'm hoping he will consider re-insertion at our appointment next week. Ideally, doctor will insist upon it. Speech is another problem, but we both feel like it's too early to give that much thought. After all these years together, we pretty much know what the other is thinking, so words are not always necessary. I look forward to learning new ways to cope, through this forum.

Donna
Caring for Hubby: Age 73

Radiation, Hard Palate: October, November, December, 2011
Hemiglossectomy (side of tongue): December, 2014
2nd Hemiglossectomy (base of tongue): November 2015