Thank you SO much, Anne-Marie and Christine. With your replies here, I feel a little less alone. It's nice to realize I will get input from both the cancer patients and the caregivers. One will help me cope, and one will help me understand. Wonderful combination!

I too was surprised doctor went along with removal of the NG tube. But I think he knew hubby would remove it himself if he had to. It was almost surreal as hubby is one of the world's quietest people. Never makes a fuss about anything - but that tube was going, one way or the other.

He does have an Ipad, but we'd not thought of it for communication. Great idea, and one that will be put to immediate use. Thanks!

Canned peaches! Of course they're slippery! I can't believe I hadn't thought of that. And I did print out the list of easy to eat foods. Lots of good ideas there. Thank you!

He was actually doing a little better by dinnertime last night. I'd made one of his favorite soups and pureed a cupful. He got more than half of it down, and was able to follow that up with an entire ensure. Slowly, of course, but he can take as long as he needs.

Meds are another story. Though I crush them into a powder and mix with a couple tablespoons of ensure, they are awfully hard to get down. I think I'll try pressing the powder into the sides of a slippery peach chunk. Yes, this world of support is going to be SO helpful!

Thanks again!

Donna
Caring for Hubby: Age 73

Radiation, Hard Palate: October, November, December, 2011
Hemiglossectomy (side of tongue): December, 2014
2nd Hemiglossectomy (base of tongue): November 2015