Brian,

I've had the thera-bite since the beginning. I've had great difficulty opening my mouth even to use the contraption. My ENT suggested it straight off. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that this is how I'm going to be. I've had an operation done to remove scar tissue, but I did not see any improvement. My ENT was pretty dissapointed. He thought I would be helped by the procedure. I think it bothers other people more than it bothers me. I've had people ask me "Doesn't it bother you that you can't eat regular food?" I always answer with a resounding no. There is a lot more to life than food. I look at it this way. There are people starving in third world countries who would love to be able to eat what I do everyday. I feel fortunate that I'm able to maintain my weight and that I'm healthy.

One of my greatest concerns was my ability to communicate with the people that I manage at work. I've had to make a conscientious effort to slow down when I speak and try to annunciate more clearly. I have trouble with certain sounds. But I've been back to work since the first of February and I haven't missed a beat.

John

SCC base of tongue. Diagnosed as stage IV, Sept. '04. Partial glossectomy, Radical neck dissection left side, 37 Radiation sessions, Chemo x 7 weeks. Finished treatments January '05. Cancer surivor!